This set up is designed to full sized model of a typical choke manifold on the rig. It consists of eleven gate valves operated by several turns of valve handle, Remote Choke (activated from a panel), Remote Outer Choke Valve and Kill Line valve (both controlled from the BOP Panel) as well as the Left and Right Manual Chokes. Both drill pipe and pressure gauges are also included. The entire set up provides the necessary support for fluid circulation and well control operation.
- Open all valves between the choke line and the Automatic Hydraulic Choke (Remote Choke Manifold).
- Keep all other valves closed.
Following is a detailed description of the various components of the Choke Manifold (Land)
- Gate Valve: The gate valves are fully operational valves. They can be fully opened or fully closed and can also be put into a cracked position. This will require that the student properly align the valves. (Note: If the valves are not properly aligned, flow through the manifold will not be achieved.)
- Manual Choke: A fully operational choke that can be used in the well kill operation.
- Remote Choke: A remote choke is a replica of a hydraulic-actuated choke such as a Cameron or Swaco. This choke can also be used in the well kill
- Kill and Choke Lines: Fully operational lines that can be used in circulation or well killing operation.
- Straight Throw Line: A fully operational line that can be circulated through. It can also be used in well killing operation.
Remote Choke Panel
This panel resembles the typical Swaco panel used on rigs. It includes analog and digital gauges that monitor the key parameters required for efficient well control exercises. The analog gauges monitor drill pipe pressure, casing pressure, pump stroke rate and choke position. The digital meters show the total elapsed pump strokes, one position choke control, master air valve, and a choke adjustment speed control.
Detailed discussions of Remote Choke Panel components is as follows:
- Drillpipe Pressure: A circular 6″ gauge that measures Drillpipe pressure. The scaling is psi from 0 to 10,000 in subdivision of 20 psi per division.
- Stroke Counter: A digital readout of total elapsed strokes with a reset bottom.
- Stroke Rate: A 3″ square meter which measures the pump strokes per minute, scaled at 0 to 200 spm.
- Casing Pressure: A circular 6″ gauge which measures casing pressure. The scaling is in psi from 0 to 10,000 in subdivisions of 20 psi per division.
- Choke Position: A circular 3″ gauge, which displays the position of the choke.
- Air Supply Valve: A two-position control that will allow the student to apply air pressure to the Remote Choke Panel.
- Open Choke/Close Choke Control: A two-position spring return control that will allow the students to open or close the Remote Choke.
- Choke Adjustment Speed Control: A control that will allow the student to increase or decrease the speed at which the Choke will open or close.